Resources Free resources for blogs, blogs, videos, etc.
Blogs & Columns
- Get a Second Wind, by Katherine Forsythe, MSW
- Naked at Our Age/Better Than I Ever Expected, by Joan Price
- Sex Advice & Spice written by Melanie Davis, PhD, CSE
- Another Chance for Love: Finding a Partner Laterin Life, by Sol Godon & Elaine Shimberg
- Before the Change: Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause by Ann Louise Gittleman
- Better than I Ever Expected:Straight Talk about Sex after Sixty by Joan Price is a woman-to-woman friendly book that acknowledges the challenges and celebrates the delights of older-life sexuality.
- Coping with Erectile Dysfunction, by Michael E. Metz & Barr W. McCarthy
- Dr. Ruth’s Sex after 50, by Ruth K. Westheimer
- Guide to Getting it On, by Paul Joanniddes, is a highly popular, comprehensive book written in conversational style.
- Love Stories of Later Life: A Narrative Approach to Understanding Romance, by Amanda Smith Barusch
- Many and Moore: A Celebration of Love in Later Life, edited by Jane Mead
- Naked at Our Age: Talking Out Loud about Senior Sex by Joan Price provides compassionate, practical recommendations for older adults who are or who wish to be sexually active.
- Look Within: A Woman’s Journal by Melanie Davis is a place to celebrate what makes you a special, unique woman. You will explore your thoughts, feelings, and ideas by reflecting on what you appreciate and enjoy about yourself and your sexuality, as well as your expectations and hopes for the future.
- Older, Wiser, Sexually Smarter is a curriculum of turnkey sex ed lessons for older adults. Use a single lesson plan, several lessons, or the entire series to create a multi-week course.
- Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause by the Bostom Women’s Health Book Collective
- Seniors and Sexuality: Experiencing Intimacy in Later Life, Robynne Neugebauer-Visano, editor
- Sexual Fluidity: Understanding Women’s Love and Desire, by Lisa M. Diamond
- Sexuality & Long-Term Care: Understanding and Supporting the Needs of Older Adults by Gayle Appel Doll takes a person-centered approach to resident sexuality in long-term care. It addresses the question of how long-term care facilities can respond to the sexual desires of older adults while balancing individual resident rights against the needs and concerns of the community as a whole.
- Still Doing It: Women & Men Over 60 Write About Their Sexuality, Joani Blank, editor
- The Lesbian Love Companion: How to Survive Everthing from Heartthrob to Heartbreak, by Marney Hall
- The New Love and Sex After 60 by Robert N. Butler and Myrna I. Lewis
- The Secret Pleasures of Menopause by Christiane Northrup
Sexuality Educators, Therapists, Consultants & Trainers
- American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists offers an online directory of certified sexology professionals.
- SaferSex4Seniors Contributors are highly qualified professionals in sexuality education, healthcare provider training, therapy and long-term care issues.
- Sexuality and Aging Consortium at Widener University provides sexuality education, counseling, and resources for older adults, their families and caregivers. The Consortium also offers training, consulting, and policy development services to the professionals who serve them.
- ActionAIDS is a Philadelphia case management agency serving people 50+ who live with HIV/AIDS. 215-981-0088
- Administration on Aging (Health and Human Services) offers useful resources for providers, caregivers and those living with HIV who are over 50.
- AARP’s Sexuality and Intimacy pages offer articles and expert advice for older adults.
- Center for Sexual Pleasure and Health in Pawtucket, RI provide adults with a safe, physical space to learn about sexual pleasure, health, and advocacy issues.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers a wealth of information on sexual health and sexually transmitted infections.
- Department of Health and Senior Services — Every state has one, and they generally offer services for older adults relating to sexual health and sexually transmitted infections. Look online or call a telephone information operator for the number
- KnowHIVAIDS.org This is an online directory of STI testing facilities across the country; sponsored by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- LGBT Elder Initiative fosters and advocates for services and resources that are culturally competent, inclusive and responsive to the needs of LGBT elders in the Delaware Valley. 917-204-7883.
- National Minority AIDS Council
- National Resource Center on LGBT Aging is the country’s first and only technical assistance resource center aimed at improving the quality of services and supports offered to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) older adults.
- The National Women’s Health Information Center
Planned Parenthood Federation of America offers basic health screenings, contraceptives, and sexually transmitted infection information and testing to men and women of all ages.
- Retirement Life Matters offers information on senior relationships.
- Sexuality and Aging Consortium at Widener University is committed to enhancing and advancing the sexual health, rights, and education of adults in mid and later life.
- TheBody.com is a comprehensive online resource related to HIV/AIDS.
Adult Toys and Enhancements
- A Woman’s Touch Sexuality Resource Center in Madison, WI offers information, counseling, and products.
- Babeland offers retail stores and online sales.
- Drugstore.com offers a range of personal vibrators at reasonable prices.
- Fantasia Home Parties offers online sales and in-home sales of adult romance products.
- Good Vibrations offers retail stores and online sales. Use code FF10 at checkout for 10% off.
- MyPleasure.com is a member of the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists.
- Gen Silent is a powerful documentary by Stu Maddux, which shows the disparity in the quality of paid caregiving from mainstream care facilities committed making their LGBT residents safe and happy to places where LGBT elders face discrimination by staff and bullying by other seniors.
- SexSmartFilms.com offers classic and contemporary educational films, viewable online. Many free videos; premium subscriptions provide access to resources for sex therapists and educators.
- Sex Therapy Video Series produced and directed by Mark Schoen includes couples’ guides to sexual pleasure through sensate focus. DVDs available for heterosexual, lesbian, and gay couples.
- Sinclair Institute offers a host of sexual education videos that are tastefully produced. Of special interest to older adults may be the titles “The Couples Gide to Great SEx Over 40” (Vol. I and II).
- Improving the Lives of Transgender Older Adults: Recommendations for Policy and Practice is a very useful report published by the National Center for Transgender Equality and SAGE (Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elderly.
- JustGetTested.com offers inexpensive and confidential STD and sexual wellness blood testing in over 1700 locations throughout the United States. Visit the website, buy the test, take the test to a local lab, and receive your results in 2-3 days.
- The Sexuality and Access Survey Summary is survey is a first step toward addressing the sexuality-related experiences of people with disabilities who make use of attendant support in their daily lives and the experiences of those who provide these services and support.
Find HIV/AIDS Prevention & Service Providers
Enter your address, city and state, or ZIP Code:
For more information on this widget, please visit AIDS.gov.